Monday, August 27, 2012

Day 8... Complete

Well after waking up at 2 this morning, I am still up after 10pm.  I think I am going crazy... or at the least my body is!

Not much went on today.  Actually the kids and I did not leave the house.  I spent more of the day doing some research, for the house, a car, internet/cable/and phone/ places to visit, and more! A good job for a rainy start of the day.

House...

    I am trying to figure out how to arrange the kids rooms.  What room do I put each of the kids in?  Mathew knows he wants one of the first rooms as you go upstairs but I do not this he cares which one.  Paige picked a room that is close to the bathroom upstairs.  But, we were thinking of giving her the room that had the bathroom attached and then making the other bathroom Mathew's to use.  Lately there has been a lot of arguments about the bathrooms.  I would like to squash this as much as possible.

  While I am trying to figure this out, we are also trying to figure out paint colours.  I want to make this home more comfortable and colourful.  I am tired of the beige and tans.  I do not want to go totally away from that but I want to add a punch of colour.  I am so up in the air as to which colour I want to have pop off the wall.  I do know that the wall I want to do it on is the wall with the fireplace.  The issue I am having is the colours already in the room.  The frames around the French doors are a cherry wood yet the crown moulding is white. So I need a colour that goes well with the warm red in the wood and the white in the crown moulding.

Internet/TV/ Phone...
 
   This is a stressful subject.  We found that the internet will not be the best at the house.  UGH!  We are heading back in time and have to go with a broadband connection and no cable.  Our connection speed may be 1Mbps.  Hello.... come into the times Ramsey St. Mary.  I guess that is what we get for having a house off the beaten path in a small little town.  We are still deciding who to go with for the TV.  If we go with who we HAVE to go through for Internet and Phone, we will only get a small amount of channels which consists of 1 of two channels that get American TV.  If we choose the other, we will get many of the shows that we watch and life would be good on days that we can not head outside. But the cost is more. Will we really need all the channels?  Who knows.  So do we get stuck in a plan that we might not like for 18 months or do we go with another that we know we will watch? Choices!

Car...

   Now this is hard.  I need a car.  A big car?? for groceries and maybe if people come to visit... or a smaller car which I feel would be safer.  Most of the roads I will be on are going to be country or highway.  I am going to try to stay away from driving in the wonderful towns unless I HAVE TO... until I get comfortable with just driving!  It is a hard decision and I really need to just get out there and start trying to drive on the opposite side of the road so I can test drive some cars and decide.

On top of finding a car we still need to take our driving tests.  We will probably run over here sometime this week to take that test since we have out Newcomers Orientation on the 6th of September.

Now on with the less stressful and more fun part...

Where to visit??

    There are so many places to start.  Castles, churches, villages are some starts.  September 6th through the 9th are Heritage Open House Days.  Many of the area attractions are free on certain days of the week.  I would love to be able to go to one of these during this time and get away from the hectic days of unpacking so we will see what Mat's schedule will be and then go from there.

First though we are going to schedule a visit with the school that is close to the house.  We need to get the kids into a school as soon as possible.  I do not want them missing out on many days.  I am going to start refreshing their knowledge of things this week while we can and continue until they start school.  This will be my chance to home-school them for a little bit :)

So after that research I did more research to try to find a program that we could use to get a hold of Mat's mother but I am not sure I have had any luck.  International calls cost money no matter what so maybe we will need to get a calling card so we will be able to chat.

Mat had to go into work twice.  Once in the morning to check in and the other time at 2 for some in processing things.  In between work he seemed to find some time to catch a nap fully dressed in his blues.  What a lucky guy!  He got to sleep all night long and also take a nap!

We watched a few new movies today... Mat made dinner on our tiny Charcoal grill and I was able to chat with both of my sisters... and see my brother today on Skype!  Somehow technology makes you feel like you are just down the road from everyone!

11pm now... I guess it is time for me to try to get some sleep!  Hopefully it will be a restful one!

2 comments:

  1. It is not just your area- I think all of East Anglia is behind on internet. WE will have to have broadband too. They have broadband all over the base. We don't even have wifi in TLF- we have to share one computer that is plugged into the wall! As for phone- BT has an unlimited plan for calls to the states of like £3 or £5 extra a month. We have had several people tell us about this. The catch is- it is free for 60 minutes and then regular rates apply. So... they all said, you just set a timer and hang up just before 60 minutes and then call right back and talk for 58 more minutes and do the same again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is pretty grand. We did not hear about that at all from BT. We have a magic jack so we are going to try that for now. Mat added international to his cell phone. But I use skype for just about everyone back home which is nice. His Mom does not have internet thought so that is why he has to have the international plan somewhere.

    ReplyDelete